Children's Passports

An Australian citizen under 18 years of age who has never married is regarded as a child. A passport application for a child must be lodged by a parent or other person with a parental responsibility for the child.  The person lodging the application must also provide proof of their identity.

Children cannot be included in an adult's passport. Each child, including a newborn infant, must be issued with their own passport.

A renewal form cannot be used to apply for a child's passport. A new application must be lodged on each occasion.

If you are lodging an application for a child overseas, you must complete the overseas application form.

NOTE: Children's passports are normally valid for five years.

Using this website, you can also
  • track the progress of an application, once lodged
  • access our Payment Service (not available with applications made under 'special circumstances', where consent of both parents, or all persons with parental responsibility, is not given).


Before a passport may be issued to a child the written consent of all persons with parental responsibility for the child is needed. The Australian Passports Act 2005, Section 11, also permits a passport to be issued to a child if an Australian court order permits the child to travel internationally.

If you wish to make an application without the consent of all persons with parental responsibility you must complete a statement on a form B9 and provide details of the circumstances (Download Form B9).  The application will be referred to a delegate of the Minister for Foreign Affairs for a decision.

If only one parent is named on the child's birth certificate the form B8 must be completed.  (Download Form B8).

For further information regarding consent, see Children and Parental Consent

Things you will need to provide with the application

When you apply for an Australian passport for a child you must provide original documents which confirm the child's identity and Australian citizenship.

You must provide any previous Australian passport that the child may have had.

You will need to provide the child's full original Australian (or foreign) birth certificate. Where a foreign birth certificate is presented you must also provide an approved translation if necessary and an Australian citizenship certificate. Birth extracts, commemorative certificates, photocopies or facsimile copies are not acceptable.

If the child was born overseas and has no birth certificate, complete Form B6 (Download form B6).

For applicants born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986:
  • proof of one parent's Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency at the time of the child's birth.
  • one parent's Australian birth certificate;
  • one parent's Australian passport issued after 20 August 1986 and valid for two years;
  • one parent's Australian citizenship certificate;
  • one parent's Australian permanent resident status at the time of the child’s birth.

Change of name of child

You must bring originals of documents that explain any name changes the child has had since birth or since obtaining Australian citizenship.

A passport is issued in the child's birth (or citizenship) name, unless another name has been registered with an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or the local equivalent authority in the child's country of permanent residency (if the child was born overseas), and you can provide the original of the change of name certificate (or local equivalent) or revised birth certificate.

Foreign certificates must be legalised (apostilled or authenticated) by the issuing government in a form that meets our requirements.

For information on how your foreign document may be legalised, you should contact the relevant government authority of the country that issued the document. In most cases, this would be the Department or Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or the country’s diplomatic or consular representatives in Australia.

Anglicised names are not acceptable without a formal name change certificate. If there is no local system for registering a name change in your country of residence, contact your nearest overseas mission.

If the child's name has changed more than once, please provide details of the most recent name change on the form and provide documents for each name change.

If the child's parents' current names are different to those shown on the child's birth certificate, documents that explain the difference must be provided.

Applying for a passport for a child born through surrogacy

See Surrogacy.

Applying for a passport for a child adopted from overseas

See Intercountry adoption.

Children Subject to Child Protection Orders under State/Territory Law

To facilitate the consideration of applications supported by State or Territory child welfare orders, you need to complete a Form B10. (Download form B10).

Preventing the issue of a passport to your child

A person with parental responsibility for a child may raise a Child Alert which warns the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) there may be circumstances that need to be considered before an Australian passport or other travel document may be issued to a child.

You may raise an alert by submitting a Child Alert Request (Form PC9) to DFAT. Forms are available at passport offices in Australia, from this website, by phoning the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232 or from Australian diplomatic missions or consulates overseas.

Please note that a Child Alert will not stop a child from travelling if she/he already has an Australian passport or travel document issued by another country. However, you may seek a court order to have a child’s name placed on the Airport Watch List by the Australian Federal Police. For further information, go to

International parental child abduction

Before travelling overseas with your child you should be aware that removing a child from Australia without the other parent’s consent may constitute a criminal offence under the Family Law Act 1975, punishable by up to three years in prison.

Additionally, the other parent may be able to seek the return of their child to Australia under the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention is a multilateral treaty which provides a legal mechanism for the return of children who are wrongfully removed from, or retained outside, their home country.

If you want to travel overseas with your child without the other parent’s consent you should seek legal advice before doing so. You can locate a lawyer through the Australian Government’s Access to Justice website

If you want to relocate overseas with your child you should seek the other parent’s agreement in writing, or seek relocation orders through the Australian Family Law Courts.

For further information on preventing child abduction and what to do if your child is abducted, go to